New Mexico Legal Aid

Advancing fairness & justice for all
Free legal aid in New Mexico



How to Access Public Benefits

When a disaster occurs, your circumstances can change drastically. Public benefits can help ensure that you have the food, medical coverage, and financial assistance that you need.

The New Mexico Human Services Department makes it simple to check eligibility and apply for assistance. Click here to visit the YesNM online portal to quickly and easily apply, check, update, or renew for a variety of programs, including:

These benefits include:

  • Medical Assistance (Medicaid)
  • Food Assistance (SNAP)
  • Water Assistance (LIHWAP)
  • Cash Assistance (TANF)
  • Energy Assistance (LIHEAP)

You can also call the Human Services Department from 7:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. at 1-800-283-4465.

If you are currently pregnant, were pregnant in the last six months, or have a child under five years old, you may be eligible for the New Mexico Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Program. WIC provides free healthy food, breastfeeding support, basic nutrition education, and referrals to other services that may be helpful.

Click here to learn more about how to apply for WIC.

If you are in need of rental help, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers assistance in the form of subsidized apartments (apartments with reduced rents) and housing choice vouchers.

To find your local Public Housing Agency, click here to locate the office closest to you.

To search for subsidized apartments, click here to view a map of participating apartment buildings.

If you have a disability that prevents you from working, you may be eligible for Social Security Disability Insurance. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) is a federal program that provides monthly cash benefits to people who have worked, paid Social Security taxes, and now have a disability that prevents them from working.

Click here to apply for Social Security benefits.

Click here for more information about SSDI and how to apply.

How to reach us

If you’re facing a disaster-related legal issue, we’re here to assist you. Here’s how you can contact us:

Skip to content