New Mexico Legal Aid

Advancing fairness & justice for all
Free legal aid in New Mexico



Replacing Lost Documents

In a disaster, important paper documents such as birth certificates, Social Security cards, driver’s licenses, tax records, insurance policies, etc. may get lost or destroyed. Many can be replaced by contacting agencies such as the Vital Records Office, Social Security, or insurance offices.

You may need to provide proof of citizenship, proof of property ownership or rental occupancy, Social Security numbers, and other personal information when registering for disaster assistance and/or other public benefits (e.g., SNAP, TANF, WIC, SSDI, etc.)

Here are some resources to replace lost documents:

  • Proof of address/residency: Contact your local utility (water, gas, electric, etc.) company to get a copy of a recent bill.
  • Birth certificates: Contact the New Mexico Department of Health Vital Records Office. You can apply for replacement birth certificates online or by mail. For questions, call 1-866-534-0051 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
  • Copies of insurance policies: Contact your insurance agent or the insurance company directly.
  • Driver’s licenses and IDs: First, you must notify your local police department that your license was lost or stolen. Call the non-emergency line and obtain a copy of the police report. Next, visit your local Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) field office and bring the police report, a signed written statement saying that you want MVD to issue you a new license because your old one was lost or stolen, and the replacement fee ($18 for a four-year license or $34 for an eight-year license). Drivers who are 79 years old or older are not charged a replacement fee.
  • Social Security cards: Apply for a replacement card online or in person at a local Social Security office. For support, call 1-800-772-1213 between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. and tell the representative you want to request a replacement Social Security card.
  • Permanent Resident Cards (Green Cards): The U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) can replace your Green Card. You can apply to replace your Card You can call USCIS customer service at 1 (800) 375-5283.

How to reach us

If you’re facing a disaster-related legal issue, we’re here to assist you. Here’s how you can contact us:

Skip to content